Spring is finally here! And to celebrate I am sharing my recipe for easy, delicious, mouth watering vegan lemon curd cupcakes! This recipe is a cinch to follow and uses premade vegan lemon curd.
These lemon cupcakes are light and fluffy on the inside and have a special twist! Instead of filling the cupcakes with curd, I top them with about a tablespoon of lemon curd and swirl it into the batter. This way when the cupcakes cook you get that slightly caramelized flavor in addition to the lemon curd!
And to add even more lemon flavor they have a lemon glaze for the top. They are absolutely fabulous, I just know you’ll love them!
What goes in a Vegan Lemon Curd Cupcake?
Well…rich, tangy, luscious lemon curd for starters! You can make your own in just 10 minutes from this Easy Vegan Lemon Curd recipe, or you can use any store-bought lemon curd. I have not been able to find a store near me that sells vegan lemon curd yet, so I have learned to make my own.
And I can stop looking because when I say easy, I mean EASY. Vegan lemon curd is so much simpler than traditional curd, and you don’t even have to worry about accidentally making sweet scrambled eggs! It’s really a win for everyone.
Other than the lemon curd the rest of the ingredients are all standard for a vegan baker. This includes having vegan butter, and some ground flaxseed for the flax egg. If you don’t have flax seed you could use any of the vegan egg replacer products that you prefer.
I haven’t personally used the Just Egg in any baked items yet, but I’d be interested to know if they work as well.
How to Make Vegan Lemon Curd Cupcakes
This recipe starts with room temperature vegan butter, so make sure to set out your vegan butter to thaw for about 20 minutes before you start to bake. Use this time to gather together all your ingredients. They call this mise en place – everything in it’s place. When you’ve got everything lined up it’s time to preheat the oven.
These cupcakes bake at 350 deg F or 177 deg C. Make your flax egg. A flax egg is 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal and 3 tablespoons of water. Mix the two together and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 5 minutes.
First, place your vegan butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer, or mix in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Beat for about 5-6 minutes until the butter is light and fluffy. The purpose of such a long mixing period is to whip a lot of air into the cake.
In a separate bowl mix together your flour, baking powder and salt. When you’re ready pour the flax egg, lemon juice and vanilla extract into the mixer bowl. Mix until incorporated. Alternate adding the plant-based milk with the flour mixture in 3-4 additions and mix just until incorporated.
Overmixing can beat some of the air out of the mixture and we need those air bubbles to get a cloud like cake texture.
Portion out into 18 cupcakes. Add 1 tablespoon of vegan lemon curd to the center of each cupcake and swirl with a toothpick or knife. Be careful not to let any of the lemon curd come in contact with the metal or it may burn in the oven. Bake at 350 deg F for between 15-20 minutes.
You’ll know the cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes away clean with no wet batter. The tops should be a light golden brown.
While the cupcakes are baking make the lemon drizzle. Place the powdered sugar in a bowl and very slowly drip in the lemon juice 1 teaspoon at a time while whisking. Keep adding lemon juice until you’ve reached your desired consistency. I prefer the glaze to have a little body.
When the cupcakes are done wait 3-4 minutes for them to cool down enough to handle, then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling. Once the cupcakes are completely cool drizzle the glaze over the top of each cupcake and serve!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) vegan butter, room temperature
- ¾ cups of sugar
- 2 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup plant-based milk (almond, soy, coconut, pick your favorite)
- 1/3 cup vegan lemon curd
- Lemon Icing:
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350deg F. Either spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or use paper liners to prevent sticking.
2. In a medium bowl add the flour, baking powder, and salt and stir together.
3. In a separate bowl cream the vegan butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy, about 5-6 minutes. Add in the flax eggs. Now add in the vanilla, and lemon juice and mix until incorporated.
4. Mix in the flour and the milk alternating between the two until everything is incorporated. Be careful not to mix for more than a minute or two to keep the cake light and fluffy.
5. Portion out into 18 cupcake holders.
6. Drop 1 teaspoon of lemon curd in the center of each cupcake and use a toothpick or a knife to swirl the curd into the batter.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. You will know they are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The tops should be slightly caramelized around the edges.
8. Let cupcakes cool for 2-3 minutes in the pan then transfer to a cooling rack. When cupcakes are cool spoon on the lemon glaze.
9. Lemon Glaze:
Whisk the lemon juice and powdered sugar together until smooth. You can adjust the icing to the thickness of your liking by adding more or less lemon juice.
I told you it was going to be easy right? Now you are ready to enjoy these EASY vegan lemon curd cupcakes whenever you want! This is one of my family’s most requested desserts and I bet it will become one of your family’s favorites as well.