One of my all time favorite desserts is apple pie, so of course I had to make a version of my very own. These vegan apple crumb bars have all the yummy apple pie spices with a crunchy bottom crust and delicious oat crumb and sugar topping. These treats are a great dessert, or even a delightful afternoon snack!
Warm from the oven, this is the perfect any time treat. Want to kick up the decadence even more? Try adding a scoop of dairy-free vanilla bean ice cream! Yum. Yum.
Why Make These Vegan Apple Crumb Bars?
These bars take making apple pie to a new place. No more complicated pastry crust. No more chilling and rolling out of dough over and over. This recipe comes together in just 20 minutes with a food processor! Oh how I love my food processor. This thing saves me so much time and if you don’t already have one I highly recommend that you do.
But, even if you don’t this recipe can be made completely by hand using a large bowl and a pastry cutter or a couple knives for cutting the butter into the flour mixture.
Let’s Look At What Goes Into Vegan Apple Crumb Bars
First you’ll need to gather all your ingredients.
I used all purpose, but the earthy apple flavor could pair well with have all purpose half
I used light brown sugar to sweeten the crust and allow it to get nice and crisp in the oven.
I almost always add salt to my bakes, it really enhances the flavors.
Butter makes pies crusts flaky and delicious and will help give the cooking apples more flavor. If you want to go one step further you can make your own Homemade Vegan Butter by following this recipe. It takes just 5 minutes to whip together and another 15-20 minutes in the freezer to set up. You’ll not only save time and money, but making your own butter sounds quite impressive!
The oats make the crust extra special and the crumb topping very strusell like.
Because you can’t have apple pie bars without apples! I have used both red and green apples. My personal preference is for green apples. Green apples will give you a tart/sweet apple pie while red apples will be more on the sweet side. Green apples seem to hold their shape a bit better when baked too. But you really can’t go wrong. Choose your favorite apples and get to work!
The acid lemon juice keeps the apples from browning. We want our apples to stay nice and crisp.
Want to see how it’s done? Follow this Step By Step Guide
The full recipe is written down below. Follow along with me as I lay out the process of making these vegan apple crumb bars.
You’ll start this Vegan Apple Crumb Bars recipe by prepping all your ingredients except the apples.
Yes, this is one time I do not recommend peeling dicing the apples until you get to that step in the recipe. The reason I want you to wait is because once you peel the apples they will start to turn brown. We use the acid in the lemon juice to slow this process, but the less time exposed to the air the better.
After your ingredients are ready you’ll add the dry ingredients to the bowl of the food processor and pulse to combine.
At this point you’re ready to add the chilled butter. I suggest cubing the butter so that it will incorporate into the flour mixture more easily. Pulse until the butter is mostly incorporated. At this point the mixture should hold when pressed together. The last step for the food processor is to add in the oats, pulse a few more times and you’re done there.
Make sure you reserve 1 cup of the crust mixture for the top of the bars. Take the rest of the mixture and press it into the bottom of the casserole dish.
You’re now ready to make the filling.
Start by preparing the spices. This is what brings that warm apple pie taste to the bars. Combine all spices together and set aside.
Next prepare the apples.
Peel, core and dice the apples. Drizzle with lemon juice and then add in 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Toss to combine. I like using a cast iron skillet for cooking the apples. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet you can use any large pan, preferably one with a lid.
Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet and melt over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted add in the apple mixture and cook the apples stirring frequently for about 2 minutes. After that you’ll turn the temperature down to medium-low and cover the skillet with a lid or another pan.
You want to trap the steam and cook the apples more thoroughly. This will draw out most of the water from the apples and that’s good. This should take about 7-10 minutes.
Remove the apples from the oven and place back in a large bowl.
Sprinkle the apple pie spice mixture over the apples and toss to coat.
Spread the filling evenly over the crust.
Sprinkle the remaining sugar evenly over the top of the apple pie bars. Your dessert is now ready for the oven!
Bake bars for between 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown and delicious!
Are you a fan of Simple Desserts? Here are some other dessert recipes you might enjoy:
- Maple Pecan Muffins
- Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Scones
- Hot Chocolate Swiss Cake
- Vegan Vanilla Cake Pops
Ready to make these Vegan Apple Crumb Bars? Let’s Go!
- Crust and Topping:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (16 tablespoons) vegan butter, chilled
- ½ cup oats
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 7 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Spray an 8” x 12” casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor add in the four, brown sugar, and salt. Pulse until incorporated.
- Cube the chilled butter and add to the bowl of the food processor. Pulse until mostly incorporated. You may have a few pea size bits of butter left.
- Add in the oats and pulse a few times to combine.
- Reserve 1 cup of the mixture and press the remaining crust mixture onto the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Make the apple pie spice mix by combining the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cardamom.
- Make the filling by peeling the apples, coring them and dicing them into small pieces. Next drizzle the lemon juice over the apples and toss to coat. Add 4 tablespoons of sugar to the apple mixture.
- Melt the vegan butter in a skillet on medium heat and add the diced apple mixture. Saute apples for about 2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Next turn the heat down to medium low and cover the skillet with a lid, or another pan and let simmer for about another 7 - 8 minutes.
- When apples are done transfer them back to a large bowl and sprinkle with apple pie spice mix, stir or toss to combine. Spread the apple filling evenly over the crust.
- Take the reserved crust mixture and sprinkle evenly over the top of the apple filling. Then sprinkle the remaining sugar in an even layer over the top of the crumble. Bake at 350 deg F for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown and crispy.
Thank you for visiting my site!
I really appreciate you taking the time to visit. If you liked this recipe or any recipes from the site I would love to hear about it! Please drop me a comment or email me direct at email@example.com.
And don’t forget to post pictures of your bakes on Instagram with hashtag #veganbakingathome and tag me for support @veganbakingathome.
Until next time!